We value your privacy and take reasonable steps to protect personal information received from customers, families, volunteers, prospective employees, service providers, sponsors and community partners.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles as well as other related laws protecting privacy, including State and Territory health information legislation.
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and relevant to what we do.
We only collect personal information from you that is necessary for us to do our jobs.
You can ask us to stop sending you promotional and marketing material by contacting us.
Who needs to know about this Policy?
- Nest Staff
- Nest Users, including Individuals (people with disability), Agents (carers and support workers) and Providers
What information do we collect?
Your Personal Information
The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us and any User category that you have registered in. It may include:
- your name, addresses, email address, phone number, date of birth, gender, identification details
- payment information in connection with a service
- needs and circumstances (such as living or financial circumstances)
- IP address or domain when using our website
- if you use social media to interact with us, any information that you allow the social media site to share with us
Your Sensitive Information
Sensitive information will only be collected if it is specifically required for operational reasons. The sensitive information that we collect may include:
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- religious or philosophical beliefs or affiliations
- membership of a professional or trade association
- membership of a trade union
- sexual orientation
- details of health, disability or criminal record
There are some exceptions which include:
- we need to collect it by law
- when the information is necessary for a legal claim
How do we collect your personal information?
We generally collect information directly from you, through you inputting that information into the Nest site or through an Agent providing this acting on your behalf.
Sometimes we may need to collect information about a customer from a third party, such as a parent, carer, guardian, other responsible person health service provider, government or similar agency or the customer’s educational institution or workplace.
We do this if the customer has consented for us to collect the information in this way, or where it is not reasonable or practical for us to collect this information directly from the customer.
How do we use and disclose your personal information?
- We may provide you with our services.
- We may record communication with you.
- We may communicate with you by phone, email and other electronic means to distribute our publications, promotional material, host events, raise awareness about our services and respond to queries and complaints.
Marketing and Communication
We may contact you at a future date with information about our products and services.
You can opt out of marketing communications by contacting us.
We collect anonymous data and use it to look at trends, run the website, fix problems on the site’s servers, track user’s movement, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use and to help improve the quality of the web pages. None of this data can reasonably be used to identify you.
Our website may also identify and use your IP address or domain name for Internet traffic monitoring and capacity purposes or to run the website. No personal information is collected. The pattern of what you do on our website may be tracked so we can improve the service and content based on aggregate or statistical review of these patterns.
Disclosure of information to overseas recipients
It is rare that we disclose personal information to a recipient outside of Australia. In the event that this does occur, it will only be done when we have got your consent and the recipient is subject to laws or binding schemes which are substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles.
How can your personal information be used and disclosed without your consent?
We do not use or share your personal information with anyone without your written permission, unless we have concerns for your safety or we are required to by law.
How secure is your personal information?
The security of your personal information is a priority and we have a number of physical and electronic measures which protect it. We make sure that:
- personal information is reasonably protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or inappropriate disclosure
- electronic data is stored in a secure network and staff may only access that data which is needed to do their job.
- when the personal information is no longer needed for the reason that we got it for, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your information.
We remind you that the Internet is not a secure environment. Although all care is taken, we cannot guarantee the security of information you provide to us through electronic means.
How do you access your personal information?
Generally, you have the right to access the personal information we have about you.
We handle requests for access to personal information in line with the Privacy Act. The Privacy Act will tell you the exceptions where we are not required to provide you with access to your information.
If you would like a copy of personal information that we have about you, please send the request to us in writing so we can confirm your identity. You can do this by emailing email@example.com. We respond within 30 days after we receive your request.
We may charge you a fee for the administrative cost of providing the information to you. This will be dependent on where the information is stored or the time it takes us to respond to you request.
If for any reason we do not give you access to your personal information or do not give you access in the way that you requested, we will give you the reasons why we cannot give you access in writing unless it would be unreasonable for us to do so.
How do you correct your personal information?
If you believe your personal information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, you may contact us to request we correct your information.
In most cases, we will amend any inaccurate, incomplete or out of date information.
Sometimes we are not able to correct your personal information in the way you have requested. For example, if we need to keep a record of what we knew or understood to be correct about your personal information at a particular time. If this is the case, we:
- Let you know our reasons for refusing your request unless it would be unreasonable for us to do so.
- Let you know how you may make a complaint about our decision, if you wish to do so.
- Take reasonable steps to note on our record of your personal information that you have said your information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
How do you make a complaint?
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you can make a complaint by contacting us by email.
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you within a reasonable period of time.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly.
If you are not satisfied with out response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
You can Contact us to:
- Access your personal information that we have about you
- Make a complaint about they way we have collected, used, held or disclosed your personal information
- Ask us to remove your personal information from our database
- Ask us to stop contacting you with promotional material or marketing material.
What other Nest Documents are related?
You may need to refer to these documents for more information:
Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples of personal information that we collect may include: names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. This personal information is obtained in many ways including interviews, correspondence, by telephone and facsimile, by email, via our website and from third parties.
Information or an opinion about an individual’s: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; membership of a political association; religious beliefs or affiliations; philosophical beliefs; membership of a professional or trade association; membership of a trade union; sexual orientation or practices; criminal record; or health information.